Thursday, August 31, 2006

Film: Au Revoir Les Enfants

The main reason I've even been thinking about the World War II period, other than the video I just posted, was that I recently saw the movie Au Revoir Les Enfants.

The story takes place at a Catholic boarding school in France during the Nazi occupation. I really got into this movie, although I wouldn't call this the greatest movie ever. The thing that resonates is the innocence of all the children involved, that events far out of their reach or control are shaping their lives in ways they can't even imagine.

This movie serves as a remind of how difficult life must have been in those days. Moreover, I think it's an extremely shameful part of French history that should not be forgotten.

I don't know very much about common everyday things of this era. I know about the fighting, leadership roles, and those sorts of things, but not so much the human stories, except for the Jewish people. I'd like to read about how the Germans coped during this time, how the French lived, how did Londoners live their lives in the midst of air raids... There was suffering on all sides, and enough shame and sorrow to spread all around.

No comments: