Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Doctor's Visit

So, I saw the doctor yesterday. I actually really like my doctor, he's a good guy. Still, I've never been a fan of doctors or doctors' appointments. The reason is simple, a doctors visit rarely results in good news, often times the news is neutral, and every once in awhile news can be bad to catastrophic. Ok, this isn't to dismiss the fact that going to see a doctor regularly is a good thing, you need to get checkups, you can prevent or at least find things out early and give yourself a chance against any impending illnesses or conditions.

So, I guess the point is this, go to the doctor, it's important, but it sucks, it will always suck.

I'm sure you all hate as much as I do that second room they make you wait in, alone, where you must quietly anticipate the doctor's eventual entrance. That room, eh, I'm just picturing it right now, it's cold in there too, there's that table with the glassine or whatever kind of weird see throughy paper they put on top... The walls have posters of the human digestive system, I think there was also another poster on the other wall of the human spinal column. Sometimes, if you're lucky, there'll be a maquette of a human eye or something in the room. That is always cool, especially the ones that come apart and you can see the insides of the organ. I always loved anatomy (this is not a crazy statement, I did take anatomy in school!)...

And of course those tiny, cold, sterile rooms are drenched in an odor of sickness, I never like breathing the air in those small little rooms, well, it's the same thing at the hospital too... And what do you think about those red freaky looking containers with the radioactive symbol on them (I always find those unnerving to say the least)! I always feel like those containers are dangerously unstable and that there is a distinct possibility they will blow up and all the goo inside will be unleashed! Plus those containers stand out so bad, in this room painted so white, not even a toned down white, but a full on, bleached out, sunlight in July kind of white, well in this sea of whiteness this red container is begging for attention, begging you to be curious about it, maybe to even start worrying about it...

There are also cabinets in this tiny room, which I've never ever seen a doctor or the PA open in my life. Maybe that's where they keep the money! Oh, and I'm just remembering this, there was a random Good Housekeeping magazine on the table next to the sink, maybe that's to serve as a reminder that I'm in a place I shouldn't be.

You know what, visiting the doctor could be worse, I like my doctor, and the people at the reception desk are nice and funny. Hey, having nice receptionists at the doctor, that is like finding gold!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

They just move you to the little room so they can rotate the newer magazines in the waiting room out and bring older issues in.

Sebastien Millon said...

Hahaha, funny, I just read your post and it's funny how we both randomly happen to talk about similar situations! Yes, your theory is likely correct, 75% of a doctor's resources are spent on employees who take care of the magazines, rotating them from room to room, ripping certain pages, going out and buying the weirdest sort of stuff, like Farmer's Almanac, which you mentioned in your post! Unfortunately there was no Gideon's Bible at my doctor's office, look, can I at least get the Koran or the Old Testament or something, please!!!

M said...

I hear what you're saying about receptionists. The ones I hate the most are the kind who treat you like a tyrannical boss, or as if you owed them something.

When I was a kid I loved those anatomy paper dolls more than anything! I thought it was so fascinating that you could open a door into the body and peak inside, I still do.

Tara said...

My doctor has pictures of a healthy liver compared to a diabetic liver. It's quite nice for someone who has hypochondriac tendencies like myself.

Oh and one time I had to adjust the blinds on the window, because they were crooked.

The ladies that work for my doctor are really nice, and one of them is especially good at taking blood without my feeling much pain.

JM said...

Great; I've got to go back to the Doctor's office tomorrow and now I've got a few more things to be paranoid about. Thanks. Actually, I'm pretty lucky that both the Doctor and her staff couldn't be more friendly and accommodating. Maybe it's because of that, but I've never really noticed all those "traditional" scary elements you mentioned. But, now I'll be looking for them.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should write about going to the doctor--I spent three hours or so yesterday dealing with that. I got sort of excited when a few minutes after checking in, they called my name, but that quickly dissipated when time started going by and before I knew it, I had been waiting alone in the little room for 45 minutes waiting for the doctor to come in. Then they got me crutches (for my sprained ankle) but they were too tall for me! So to cross the parking lot to the x-ray area, I had to get my friend to help me hop over, and at least there they gave me a wheelchair until the really nice receptionist found me some small enough crutches. The next adventure will be trying to deal with the airport tomorrow! (in a wheelchair no less, which I feel my sprained ankle is not important enough to be put in a wheelchair, but there's no other way I can get myself and my carry-on onto the plane...)

Anonymous said...

Why can't we have Star Trek Tri-Corders we just scan ourselves with. Then we wouldn't have to go in for checkups either.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

my doctors office is quite big.. but it get filled up with all those sickly people.. but the waiting rooms where you sit and wait and pretend to read, but know full well you can't because you are dreading the prognosis.. or diagnosis.. but I see lots of pics with cute babies.. not that scary..not till you find yourself strapped to the table with your legs in the air..but my doctor is pretty good and tries to be a fountain of information....some useful..

Sebastien Millon said...

Mariana: Haha, so true, they start off so negatively sometimes, just craziness! Yeah, funny about those books, completely forgot about that, those were cool!

Tara: Yeah, just what you need, a picture that can jump start your mind into thinking all the things that could be wrong inside of it...

John: I'm so sorry, haha, I shouldn't have spread the fear and paranoia... Just be very afraid of the radioactive red box!

Frenchy: Wowza, that's craziness Frenchy, I'm going to be glad to see you so soon, even if you gotta get carted here in a wheelchair! Better than not coming at all... And seriously, I'm relieved things aren't worse, they coulda been.

Glorious: Now seriously, life would be a whole heck of a lot easier now wouldn't it. Lets go apply for the patent on this thing!

Babybull40: Oh so true, that waiting room where you are supposed to read or something, but you can't focus on words, you fear, you fear what is awaiting you in the upcoming tiny white cold room!

Anonymous said...

JP here. Google/Blogger isn't accepting my login to comment in blogger blogs today... That's why "anon".

Thanks for the head's up Sebastien!!

Great doctors appt story. At the final paragraph, the voice of Andy Rooney took over in my head. I read the post again with Andy, and it totally fit. It was really funny too.
Try it.

Maybe just needs a couple "didja ever's" in there;))

Sebastien Millon said...

JP: Hey no prob! Haha, glad you liked the story, I had to google Andy Rooney, don't know much about him... I need to go watch some youtube clips to get a sense of his voice...

Cassandra said...

I kinda like the little room. I hope they don't have cameras in there. Wait, forget I said that.

Sebastien Millon said...

Babs: Ahahahahah, oh Babs, they have cameras EVERYWHERE!!!!

MrManuel said...

My old doctor used to have the most random magazines in the waiting room. Of course, I can't think of any off the top of my head now, but I would thinkt o myself, "Who reads this?!?"

Sebastien Millon said...

They probably have a class on what magazines to have at your office in Medical School. Probably fascinating...

Sebastien Millon said...

So you have checked the mysterious cabinets! What was in there, money, drugs, severed limbs, evil duckbill platypuses???!!!