Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Sharks, Basketball, and Project Gutenberg

First off, hope you all had a merry x-mas!

Let me tell you about this really cool book I got, although it certainly is going to mess with my mind. The book? A book on sharks! It has glorious graphic big fat photographs of these evil demonic man eating sharks... There's even some vicious photos of people after shark attacks (how unnecessary is that!), seriously, am I ever going to be able to go swimming in the ocean again? Heck, am I ever going to be able to overcome the mental hurdle to even go swimming in a swimming pool again!? Yes, my fear of sharks just keeps getting greater, and yet, somehow, I've learned to embrace the fear, I relish it... I really do think sharks are some of the coolest creatures!

In other news, a buddy of mine proposed this thing to me. He said that when I'm better, he wanted to start a basketball team with me, sign us up in a league, you know, at some place like the YMCA. Man, of course I'm looking forward to being better from this illness because that'll just be heaven in and of itself, but this b-ball thing is really something I'm looking forward to! Playing basketball! Always been my favorite sport, I've always loved playing pick-up games... And now my health is doing so much better that imagining myself playing some basketball in the future is a lot more believable. I'm so impatient, I wish I could play right now!! Now! Now!

But really I'm just thankful I'm in less pain, my headaches are almost nonexistent except for brief flare-ups! Finally not having that constant vicious pain in my head, seriously, life is so much EASIER!!! I'm still fatigued, but it's diminishing, not as fast as I'd like of course, but I'm positive lots of good things are going to happen soon... just gotta be cool, not get claustraphophic about my situation or try to rush or force anything. I'll be able to do things when my body allows me, I can already concentrate more, proven by the fact that I can read so much more than before. Reading isn't even an effort like it used to be a while back, now it's easy and enjoyable like it was when I was healthy. Of course I still can't draw very often and the stuff I do when I can is cartoony stuff, not dawing from life or anything, but I just gotta be patient, it's gonna happen!

I'm also excited because I got a couple art project commissions lined up for when I'm better! Nice to know I'll have some guaranteed income whenever I can get back to work.

Books On the Internets
Wanted to give you a cool link, in case you haven't heard of it... It's called the Project Gutenberg, and it's a site where they post books online, and it's all legal and free... So far I haven't really found any American writers at this site, but there's lots of French writers, lots of short stories, and they seem to have lots of original text and also English translations. Check out Maupassant's short story "Le Horla" if you have time, bout a guy who gradually goes insane.

18 comments:

WAT said...

This Project Gutenberg is fantastic! Thanks for the link! I know an avid reader who is going to love this.

Anonymous said...

Good to know you're getting better!
Maybe you're gonna play basketball soon enough.. I'll pray for your well-being and I hope you will be able to do all the things you love..

Anyway.. hope you had a great Xmas too! *winks*

Barry Nong said...

Have you seen that cartoon about the talking shark that lives in the girls swimming pool....funny!
Yeah we have loads of sharks in Oz...We surf them for fun.

Have you heard anything in the media about the Cricket between Oz and england over there....

Sebastien Millon said...

WAT: So happy you found that link interesting!!! Bet you can find lots of cool literature in Spanish too!

Dolcedonna: Thank you! You are so kind! I hope your Christmas was wonderful too. I was very happy to get to spend it with my family and little doggy!

Shaymus: No! Never seen that. Isn't there some movie, Shark Tale, yeah I saw that one. Nope, haven't heard of any cricket stuff right now... You surf sharks, you Australians are all crazy! I mean, look at Mel Gibson!!!

Anonymous said...

Kenny the Shark its called :)

Anonymous said...

Check out Maupassant's short story "Le Horla" if you have time, bout a guy who gradually goes insane.

Talk about life imitating art, this book and your site are about the same thing. Weird huh?

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Vonage commercial with the girl who mistakes sharks for dolphins? Your blog reminded me of that. It's a dumb commerical, but it nevertheless amuses me. One day, you will open the faucet without fear!

Anonymous said...

Could you send me the secret password to your "my artwork" site???

Sebastien Millon said...

Shaymus: Cool, I will try and find it on the net!

Bice: Yes, I thought I should mention something like that, but I thought it went without saying that I was crazy as a loon!

Lindenksv: Haha, yeah, I like that commercial! Surely I will only be able to turn on the faucet with no fear after I've undergone a lobotomy and thousands of hours of therapy. It's a long journey, but I'll make it!

Sonja: I promise, promise, once I get some stuff up I will let you know! PROMISE! And I stil need to do a scene with a bunch of birds for you!

M said...

I bet Jaws is one of your favorite movies! Funny, I used to find it kinda boring, and now it's one of my favorites.

I'm so happy to hear you say you're getting better and better, and with so much good stuff lined up! You deserve to get well, you're such a cool guy.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Happy to hear you are getting better. Take it one day at a time.. yes I'm back.. had a nice time.. Glad you and doggy had a good Christmas..

Nikki Neurotic said...

Louisa May Alcott is on that site, she's American. And I really hate sharks, they terrify me, I can't even stand watching movies or anything with them.

Lauren Brazeal said...

It'll happen for you Sebastien...the getting better part, not the shark eating you part. ; )

I'm glad you're getting more time to read, and also that you're not rushing things with your recovery. It sounds like you're doing everything right, and you have the right attitude.

Trey said...

My vacuume cleaner is called "shark". I don't know why--it hardly ever maims anyone.....

Sebastien Millon said...

Mariana: Oh yeah, Jaws is where my fear started! And thanks so much Mariana!!!!

Babybull: Hehe, sounds like you had nice Christmas too, although pretty tiring!

Silverneurotic: Ahhh, ok, I haven't checked the site out completely, I figured they had to have writers from all over... I love fearing sharks, it's so fun!

Lauren: Thanks Lauren, haha, really, you don't think a shark will ever eat me!? It's kind of disappointing, what a way to go... Hehe, yeah, it's hard sometimes, the beinig patient part...

Taarzaan: Haha, that's awesome! You should threaten people with it!

MrManuel said...

You should post some shark bite victim photos. Yes, I'm sick...

Cassandra said...

Glad you are feeling better, not just physically, but the positive aspect too!
I had a friend back in my late teens that was afraid of sharks in swimming pools. If it was night, I had to swim through the pool and make sure there were no sharks before she would get in. She never swam alone.
Now, who would enjoy a book about someone going insane? hmmmmm.... I'll check it out!!! :)
Are you like 7 feet tall?

Sebastien Millon said...

Mrmanuel: Haha, yeah, maybe I'll scan them in!!!

Babs: Thanks Babs! Your friend is hilarious, haha, you would be the sacrificial tester of sharks in the pool!!! Oh, no I'm not tall, I'm around 5'6, pretty short actually.