Monday, March 12, 2007

NCAA Basketball. Alice In Wonderland. HP Lovecraft.

The NCAA basketball tournament is coming up.

I can feel the excitement in the air. The terrorist gophers have already tried to steal our tv so they can watch the tournament in their underground lair, but Rambo foiled their wily plot (it's a long story, won't get into it here). But rest assured, Rambo and I have kept up the anti-gopher terrorist training.

Anyways, I've never watched the NCAA tournament before, never really had the time. But this year will be different, I'll at least follow the tournament, and if I'm feeling particularly tired and unable to do much of anything, I'll probably watch lots of games. There isn't a specific team I'm cheering for, the team I would cheer for isn't in the tournament, but I guess I'll cheer for Big Ten teams. Wait a sec, someone just reminded me... I'm cheering for Georgetown!

On another note, I just finished "Alice in Wonderland." I really loved it, so creative and interesting. I've been rereading the poem 'Jabberwocky,' which is at the beginning of "Through the Looking Glass." I think it's unbelievably cool and really fun to read out loud. I particularly love this verse...
'Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!'
I'm looking forward to reading more of Carroll's works, Taarzaan recommended "Sylvie and Bruno," and I'd also like to check out the "Hunting of the Snark."

I'm also reading another book of short stories by HP Lovecraft. He's wildly imaginative, although quite dark, but, to my initial surprise, the darkness of his work really entranced me. Before Lovecraft, I never really read dark frightening stuff.

His writing style is interesting, although it's overdone at times... and I think there are different sorts of flaws in the writing, pace, or plots of certain stories. It's too bad, because instead of 1 in 8 stories being unbelievably great, if certain things had been changed, it'd be closer to 1 in 2 or something like that. Exactly the same thing with painting, not every work by an artist is a masterpiece, each artist has different rates of success. At least that's what I think... But even Lovecraft's lesser stories are awesome, so it's not a big deal. And his best stuff is truly mesmerizing and powerful.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all the way about Lovecraft.

In a way, the "bad" writing is what draws you in - the stories read like they've been written by ordinary folks like you or I. And that makes them all the more powerful and scary!

Trey said...

Another delightful writer is Lovecrafts contemporary, P.G. Wodehouse. Highest possible recommendation. Funny shit!

fringes said...

Coming by to say thanks again for the guest post. We all loved your story. You have an open invitation to guest host anytime.

WAT said...

Some of the lyrics in The Beatles song "I Am The Walrus" were inspired by "Alice in Wonderland".

FYI.

Sebastien Millon said...

Greywulf: Thanks for visiting! Yeah, and the thing is sometimes he's very imitative of other writers, but the imagination is great...

Taarzaan: Never read his stuff but always heard good stuff about Wodehouse.

Fringes: Thanks so much Fringes, it was great fun!

WAT: Oh, I better listen closely, I don't usually pay close attention to lyrics... but I have a feeling I know which part of Wonderland it comes from...

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed! How could Georgetown not be your favorite!? It has a number 2 seed...good chances...

Sebastien Millon said...

Haha, I forgot to mention that I really am cheering for G-town!!!!!

m.a. said...

I know that I'll be watching the tournament. It's always fun. Great post at the Fringe by the way. :)

Tara said...

Well enjoy the games for me, because when it comes to watching them on TV, I'd rather drill a hole into my head. :)

I think you should draw your take on "Jabberwocky" using the cool characters you draw.

MrManuel said...

Never watched the tourney?!? You are in for a treat then. The first two days of the tourney are always two of the most exciting days in sports year in and year out. Enjoy!

Hedy De Vine said...

I love Lewis Carroll. The funny thing is, I've never really thought about reading his other stories. You've inspired me to look for some used copies of his stuff next time I'm at the book store!

Hedy De Vine said...

I love Lewis Carroll. The funny thing is, I've never really thought about reading his other stories. You've inspired me to look for some used copies of his stuff next time I'm at the book store!

Hedy De Vine said...

I love Lewis Carroll. The funny thing is, I've never really thought about reading his other stories. You've inspired me to look for some used copies of his stuff next time I'm at the book store!

Sebastien Millon said...

Momentary Academic: Thanks so much! I loved your post too, let's hope we see some great b-ball!

Tara: You are so right, if I could have the energy to do stuff, I wouldn't be watching the tube... Hmmm, maybe I'll try and come up with something, that's a great idea!

Mrmanuel: Seriously, I can't wait! I have a feeling it's going to be crazy!

Hedy: Cool! Let me know what you think if you read more of his stuff...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you fixed it. I approve now. and they won today!

Sebastien Millon said...

YAy! Go Gtown!

Anonymous said...

They WON! They're in the Elite 8! next though is UNC...

Sebastien Millon said...

Woohoo, go G-town!

Anonymous said...

FINAL FOUR OH YEAH! it's insane!

Sebastien Millon said...

I know, unfortunately they didn't make it to the finals :(

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.