Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Thoughts On Borat, And a Movie I'd Like To See

Quick Thoughts on Borat
I saw Borat this weekend with my dad. It was nice making it out of the house, I've really only been leaving to go to doctors' appointments! Anyways, the movie was pretty good, I thought it sort of lost steam about half way through, but I completely expected that. With this kind of movie, the schtick can get tiring, and although it never quite reaches that point, there are times where it gets a little boring. Overall there were some great scenes, stuff that made me laugh like I've never laughed before, and the same goes for my father, I think he was crying he was laughing so hard. I was really happy that Borat got a bear, it made me think about how we should all have pet bears. Not the vicious man eating bears, but domesticated unicyle riding bears (or is that just demeaning...).

The reason this movie is interesting, once you get past the mastery of improvisational comedy, is the fact that Borat unmasks people so quickly and effortlessly, showing what people think, what makes them tick, and what kind of wacky prejudices they harbor. I find it highly ironic that it was the government of Kazakhstan that complained so furiously over this film (did they ban it?), when the true target in terms of criticism is the US. We're lucky to live in a country where such a wacky, subversive?, sort of film can be made, and not only that, but make boatloads of money too!


Movie: District B13

I've seen videos of people doing Parkour, a sort of urban ballet where you try to pass obstacles in the fastest way possible, but I've never seen it integrated into a movie. This clip is from the movie District B13, some of the shots in this action sequence are astounding, I'd love to see how they set up the cameras, must've been tricky. Definitely going to have to rent this film.

6 comments:

M said...

You love Borat, I loath him. I hope we can still be friends... ;) Oh, and if you like Parkour you'll dig Madonna's latest video.

Sebastien Millon said...

Haha, of course we are still friends! Cool, I'll have to check it out, do you have a name, maybe I'll just google it.

M said...

No, I just saw it on tv the other day.

Sebastien Millon said...

Ok, oddly enough I never watch the music channels on tv...

WAT said...

Oh, and have you read how so many are now trying to sue Borat that they were tricked to sign away waivers or paid very little?

Of course. The movie is a huge huge hit and those in it want a piece of the pie.

Either that, or to be not shown as being truly stupid.

Sebastien Millon said...

It's insane, they all signed releases!

Yeah some of those people, especially the frat guys were really really dumb in the movie. They said some vile shit in there...