Sunday, August 20, 2006

Japanese TV

I stumbled across this post which has some crazy clips from some Japanese TV shows. Please note that they are a bit sadistic, and I don't think I'm a better person for having watched them.

In my infinite boredom(please remember, I'm sick and can't do much else!) I've learned 3 things of late.

1. I will not be vacationing in Mogadishu, at least not in the near future. Somalia is becoming a hot bed of radical Islamists. I'm trying to figure out where to put that on my to fear list, does that push up my fear of terrorists significantly or not? The sad part about Somalia is that the whole region is so incredibly destitute, they've mined most of their natural resources so they don't have much to go on.

2. The Japanese are crazy. See above for link and evidence of this.

3. Stephen Colbert is trying to get a bridge named after him. A bridge in Hungary that crosses the Danube. From what I understand he is succeeding in his attempt. Many thanks to culturepopped for his article on Colbert, which also provides the link to vote for Colbert here.

2 comments:

poppedculture said...

North American reality TV has nothing on the Japanese. When I was in Japan a few years back I watched some late night shows - I couldn't understand the words but it wasn't important. I saw an old man hooked up to a heart meter as women competed to raise his heart rate and girls in short skirts doing a tug-of-war over a camera. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

And thanks for the Colbert shoutout.

poppedculture said...

Following up from my blog where Blogger Beta has killed my comments. I was in Nagano during the Olympics working for a paper and we lived in a business hotel for a couple of months and the only channel in English was the BBC. So I watched a lot of late night Japanese TV.