Friday, August 25, 2006

Wow, MyDeathSpace

So, I just found this article on MyDeathSpace, a site dedicated to all those who have passed away on MySpace. I quickly glanced through it, and it is very powerful. In a sense our culture really shuns death and dealing with dying, yet at the same time I'm not sure if a site like this is the healthiest way to confront death. It makes things slightly surreal, although, maybe it effects others differently than it would me. I don't know, kind of like the nuclear bomb, really dangerous if handled by the wrong people. I have a bad vision of death being commercialized or profited from in a disgusting way. Moreover, I think it's fine to consume mass media, but to become fixated on a site like this, consuming death media... It could easily be very creepy. I don't think I'll be visiting that site again.

No comments: